Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sweet and Sour Chicken

I have roughly 5 recipes that have been made and photographed (no lie) setting on my computer in folders just waiting for me to get my act together and post. But, because this is not a food blog and under no uncertain terms will I ever pretend that it is, I don't feel too bad.

With that being said, today we made homemade sweet and sour chicken and it was gooooodd.

I only have pictures of my portion because I left the sauce making up to my sister.

Ingredients:
4 boneless chicken breasts
salt + pepper
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
 
 1. Preheat the oven to 325.

2. Take your chicken pieces, rinse them in cold water and then cut them into cubes. 

3. In a bowl, mix the 1 cup corn starch and salt and pepper. I put about a teaspoon of pepper and half a teaspoon of salt but really, the choice is yours.

3. In a separate bowl, scramble 2 eggs. 

4. Dip the chicken into the cornstarch mixture and THEN into the egg. Trust me, it works.




5. Pour the oil into a frying pan and cook the chicken over medium heat. You just want the chicken to brown, not cook all the way.

This is where I started getting a little weirded out. Because you dipped the chicken in the egg last, when you go to fry it, it looks like a giant omelety mess. I was concerned but this is normal and it turns out beautifully, I promise.


6. After the chicken has browned, put it into a greased baking dish (I used 9x13). Let the chicken hang out for a little bit while you make sauce.

Sauce ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
4 tbs ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
 
7. Mix all of the ingredients together and pour over the chicken in the baking dish. Bake the chicken for 1 hour. I flipped the chicken over every 15 minutes or so to make sure it was cooking evenly (and not sticking to my dish).

We ate it with rice and it was great, a nice combination of crispy and moist. I'd make it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment