Sunday, February 13, 2011

The mature version of valentine's day

Read my last V-day post here.






Growing up, I HATED Valentine's day. I thought it was a day devoted to gross lovers and girls like me were supposed to sit at home in the dark and watch reruns of Gilmore Girls.
But then, something changed. I think I can pinpoint it to the first day I spent Valentine's day (known as V-day to the cool kids, aka me) in the classroom. Those little creatures were so full of unconditional love, something swelled up inside of me. And I realized that it's not about spouse love or gross, probably doomed boyfriend love. V-day is about celebrating the people that love you. Completely, wholly. 100% without judgment.  

I thought about this a lot when I went to lunch and to see Gnomeo and Juliet (seriously. don't ask) with my best friend and his boyfriend. Yeah, you read that right.

I thought about it more as he whispered things to me in the dark of the movie theater. As there was a reference that only we got and we silently looked at each other and burst into fits of giggles that would be expected from the likes of 14 year olds.


I thought about this when I saw that my mom carefully iced a line of The Social Network onto my birthday cake this year. 


And some more as my best far away friend sent me a text about my favorite author. 


Valentine's day is about love for all kinds and I just hope that every sad, single person this year realizes that.


Love to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment