Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Kind of a big deal

Since the time I was about 5, I knew in my heart that I wanted to be a teacher. I get asked a lot if it was because I had an awesome kindergarten teacher. It's not. I had a horrible kindergarten teacher who never read to us or said nice things. She was mean and when I run into her in public, I avoid her. Even though there is no way she would recognize me.

The reason I wanted to be a teacher was because of my first grade teacher who, handed me a book called The Art Lesson. For those of you who don't know, the story is autobiographical and about a boy who wants to be an artist and his art teacher finally sees the potential in him and tells him that he can do art his way, after he does what the class is asked.

This book is one of many, many books by Tomie dePaola that I've fallen in love with and devoured and shared with countless groups of children.

This book, this book alone is what turned on the switch in my head that said, I WANT TO BE THIS TEACHER.

And... AND.

Tomie dePaola recently won something called The Laura Ingalls Wilder medal. Something that is only given out every 2 years and is kind of a big deal.

Tomie dePaola, author of the book that inspired me to become a teacher will accept his medal and will be the guest of honor at a fancy dinner... in New Orleans.

At the same Library conference that I randomly decided to go to on the other side of the country.

Tell me, if that isn't meant to be, I don't know what is.

2 comments: