Monday, December 20, 2010

on being a grinch


I don't mean to bah hum-bug the shit out of this situation but I am really not feeling Christmas this year. Don't get me wrong, I've gone through all of the motions. I've baked Christmas cookies, watched Christmas movies, tried to go Christmas shopping but none of this is making me feel better about the looming holiday. 

I think one of the saddest things that has happened to me as an adult is the day that I realized that the holidays aren't all they are hyped up to be. As a child, I could not wait until Christmas eve. I love the way my family all gathered together. Everything just seemed sparkly and magical on this day. The past couple of years (this year especially) the holidays seem like a chore. Just another event to get through. 

Growing up, I just wanted to be an adult already, now I would give anything to just go back.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel! Now that I'm older the holidays are just cleaning, cooking, and spending money I don't have! I would give anything to go back to my carefree child holidays... UGH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this post for the first time just now, and honestly less than an hour ago I was thinking about how different Christmas is now as opposed to how it was when I was a kid. It's not fun anymore, and I don't like that at all. The anticipation is what I miss the most. That wonderful feeling of Christmas being just a few more days away when you've waited SO LONG for it. Right now I'd do anything for a few more days to finish up some last minute gifts. Christmas has become a deadline to dread rather than a magical day to anticipate.

    I'm gaining more appreciation for my mom and all the hard work she did to make Christmas amazing for me when I was a kid. It's no fun being the person who has to sort out all the details of making Christmas special for someone. It's stressful, especially when you're trying to keep up with work and the rest of your life.

    I haven't watched Muppet Christmas Carol yet, which is a big indicator of my Christmas spirit. Usually I break that out on Black Friday...not this year. In fact I haven't watched any Christmas specials at all yet. I'm doing my best to ignore Christmas and hope that by doing so I can get everything done without hyperventilating over how close I'm cutting it. (I'm not entirely sure that this will work.)

    ReplyDelete