Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Dear Cohort 26,

I was asked tonight to talk to the new cohort that is starting the teaching program that I started last year.

I remember last year how terrifying it was to go to my orientation. I remember not having a clue what to expect and being so beyond excited that this new chapter in my life was beginning.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I want to say to the new group as they begin this (slightly difficult and painful) journey.

Here's what I want to say to these people but won't:

1. It is about to get really hard. You are going to feel stupid, you are going to feel overwhelmed and you are going to probably cry. But you are not alone.

2. Every single thing you need to know about teaching, you are going to learn by teaching and not from sitting in the classroom.

3. HAVE FUN. For all that is right and holy, have fun. Drink up every single fun, beautiful moment that happens because towards the middle of the quarter it's going to feel like having fun and being happy is not a possiblity.

4. Don't let the bastards grind you down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment