Monday, July 5, 2010

Holidays

I've talked a lot about how choosing your family and the people you surround yourself with is just as important (if not more so) than chasing your attitude.

I come from a huge family that is currently in shambles. Certain people don't talk to certain people. I have relatives that are so set on trying to recruit everyone to their "side" that it makes me feel so uncomfortable and awkward, I avoid hanging out with them. Family drama and issues are heartbreaking and something I talk about a lot in my hand written journal because two of my cousins have had babies in the past few months that I know I will probably never see. It's even harder around the holidays. But you know what, you choose your family and the people I choose to be around yesterday made the fourth of July one of the best ones yet. 

Look at how cute and festive those snacks are!
My grandma was rocking a sweet uncle Sam pin

Mom and sister
Parents
Mom and uncle
I took this for a number of reason, first I LOVE food pictures and second, that vegetable salad in the top corner was amazing. So many different vegetables and seasonings and just so good.
COTTON CANDY!
A serious game of uno
Taking a picture of sister taking a picture
This is the one day a year my town totally kicks ass.  A few hours later, that parking lot was full and there were all sorts of food booths and things going on.

Around this time, the skies opened up and it started pouring.


The moral of the story is, yeah, sometimes things go differently than planned. Sometimes life hands you nothing but shitty cards. But you choose who you surround yourself with and your make your own family and life, sometimes it's good. Really good.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you had a great day! :)

    Did you read my blog today? They are startlingly similar....funny how that happens.

    ReplyDelete