Saturday, March 20, 2010

Blurt


{via the super handy clipart from Office for mac}

I talk a lot about picking and choosing battles and celebrating small victories. This is a story about both.

I have this student, we shall call him B (as in Big Blurter). B does not stop talking the minute I walk in the room. B tells me all about what he had for dinner the night before, about riding his bike, about everything that has ever happened in his 8 years of life.

The thing is that B decides to tell me these things randomly, out of turn and usually when I'm in front of the entire class teaching. So, we keep working on him raising his hand when he has something to share.
I'll say something like, "I can't wait to hear what you have to say but make sure it has to do with what we are talking about right now" (meaning, not what happened during the Summer of 2005.

This is what happened yesterday:

Me: After you finish, find a partner and read each others stories, make sure they make sense!
B: Miss W! Miss W! Look I'm raising my hand
Me: Yay B! What is it?
B: My Grandma broke her leg on Saturday
Me: Wow B. Thanks for raising your hand but is that something that could have waited just a little bit until I was done teaching?
B: No. Then it wouldn't be broken anymore!

Yay for small victories and getting the hand raising thing down, now we just need to work on the relevancy.

1 comment:

  1. Ahaha! That's too funny! Sounds like you have an interesting group of kids.

    ReplyDelete