Saturday, September 12, 2009

Songs I Hate To Love

There are a few songs I am truly embarrassed to admit that I love to listen to. So embarrassed in fact, that I usually only listen to these songs on headphones at a really low volume just in case anyone walks in.

Here are the ten songs I am currently hating that I love.

10. Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson.



Have you heard the lyrics of this song? Soooo cheesy.

"this song is meant to keep ya
from doing what you're supposed to
like waking up too early
Maybe we can sleep in
I'll make you banana pancakes
pretend like it's the weekend now"

Every time I hear it, I can't help but say to myself, "You know what, that sounds like a great fucking idea". Damn you Jack Johnson!

9. Katy Perry "Hot N Cold"


I have a serious love/hate relationship with Katy Perry. Her songs are just so over the top and dramatic. I mean, did she really kiss a girl and like it? I doubt it.
But this song just gets me. I always joke and say I'm going to use this song to teach my future kindergartners their opposites.

Now that I think about it, maybe I have such a soft spot for this song because I really do have a "hot n cold" personality (not to self, explain the "sweet n sour" award I won at work once in a different post).

8. Black Eyed Peas "I've Got a Feeling"


One day I was discreetly rocking out to this song when my sister showed me a video talking about how it is the worst song in the world. That's a little rough but the lyrics are a bit redundant and I will never be able to figure out the randomly placed "Mazel tov" but whatev.

7. Jordin Sparks "Battlefield"


I don't really do the whole American Idol thing. But I did see Jordin Sparks when she opened up for the Jonas Brothers. Whatever, don't judge. This little girl can sing her heart out. I like this song because it reminds me of Christina Aguilera's "Stronger" which is another feminist power ballad that makes my heart sing.

6. Gwen Stefani "Hollaback Girl"


She spells "bananas". What more could you want from a song?

5. Kanye West "Stronger"



I have such torn emotions about this song. I might just have a soft spot for Daft Punk and the "That that that that don't kill me" parts. But two things. 1) Kayne West is SUCH a tool and 2) Every time I hear this song, all I can think about is robot Katie Holmes talking about it how she listened to it when she ran that dumb marathon.

4. Dr Dre and Eminem "Forgot About Dre"


As a future teacher, there are certain elements of my personality I try hard to keep hidden from people who are not already in the inner circle. For example, my tendency to say bad words and my love for Dr. Dre. I had a hard time picking just one song but it definitely has to be this. I know all of the words to both parts and I have an ability to incorporate these lyrics into essays and casual conversation.

3. Bon Jovi "You Give Love a Bad Name"


I've talked about my Bon Jovi dreams before. I can't help but rock out to this song. When I found out it was on Guitar Hero 5, I pretty much flew to the store to buy it.

2. The Backstreet Boys "I Want It That Way"



Cut me some slack, when this video was taken in 1999, I was at the height of my 5th grade coolness. How can you not love the coordinating white outfits? The high notes? The BSB looooovee?

1. Hannah Montana "Nobody's Perfect"



Whatever. Judge all you want. This song is AWESOME. She's totally right, everybody makes mistakes! Everybody DOES have those days and I of course do know what she's talking about because EVERYBODY feels that way. I love myself some Hannah (note, I can totally tell the difference between a Hannah song and a Miley song). To me, this song brings back memories of my first graders rocking out, it also brings back the feeling that I too, want the best of both worlds.



No comments:

Post a Comment